Nominations for 2017 are now closed
Each year, BELMAS invites nominations for the Distinguished Service Award (DSA). The Award recognizes those who have had a career of distinguished service in the study and/or practice of educational leadership and management in the United Kingdom in all sectors of education. The committee welcomes nominations from all sectors of the education system.
How to nominate
Candidates for the award can be nominated by individuals, a school or college or a department of education. You should include:
- A written statement of 400 words or under outlining the ways in which the candidate meets the criteria for the award;
- Letters of support for the nomination (three of which must be from BELMAS members – these will be given to the recipient to keep).
Nominees must meet criterion 1 and at least two of the other five criteria listed below to be eligible for the Award. Nominations must include evidence that these criteria have been met consistently over a substantial period of time – normally, but not exclusively, 10 or more years.
- Active involvement in BELMAS through: long-term membership, presentation of papers, chairing of sessions, involvement on the Council, Executive or other committees, or other activities of the society.
- A distinguished record of teaching or the practice of leadership, as evidenced by commendations from colleagues, students, former students occupying leadership positions in education, staff members, or a suitable equivalent.
- A distinguished record of research and publication as evidenced by publications in a variety of journals with national and international status, or by the receipt of research grants or equivalent measures.
- An active role in the preparation of teaching materials, or curriculum development, as evidenced by authorship of textbooks, membership of task forces/committees at a national level, case studies, audio visual materials, presentation of CPD or workshops, or equivalent.
- Active involvement in other educational leadership organizations than their own, or equivalent.
- Active public service related to educational leadership through membership on various commissions of inquiry, preparation of public reports or documents, contributions to public debate about education issues, or equivalent.
The deadline for nominations was 31st March 2017.